Risks and Hazards
Did you know that every household has mold? Mold exists in the air and in the building materials of even the cleanest environments. In general, the mold in your home only becomes a problem after prolonged periods of high humidity or moisture, usually brought on by water or storm damage.
One of the most difficult aspects of mold remediation, is containing the mold from spreading. Mold spreads through the dispersal of millions of spores, spores so small that they can travel through the air, by water, or even on insects. Mold also produces a substance called mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are incredibly toxic and carcinogenic. When left untreated, they can cause inflammation, asthma and allergic reactions. They are also known to release immunosuppressive agents that can modify a person’s immune response.
Most people can safely be exposed to small amounts of mold without experiencing extreme adverse effects, but you can never be too careful in circumstances where children, pregnant women, and the elderly may be exposed to mold. Additionally, if you or a member of your family suffer from any respiratory conditions such as asthma, it can be greatly exacerbated due to mold exposure.
The CDC reports that there is sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms such as coughing and wheezing, with asthma symptoms, and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition.
At Bright Restoration we advise our clients to take mold very seriously. Some of the negative health effects of mold can last a lifetime. Our team is licensed, certified and bonded to perform mold remediation. No matter how severe the mold growth, we’ll work to find a solution!